Islandia

Dodano 21 kwietnia 2017 przez rysowanie
  • Opis
  • Mapa
  • Punkty

Kod trasy

96292
Pobierz trasę w aplikacji
Wpisz kod w wyszukiwarce

Informacje

  • Rodzaj aktywności: Rower górski
  • Stopień trudności: Łatwy
  • Gwiazdki:  3.1
  • Dystans: 48,3 km
  • Lokalizacja:
571861
Kolbeinstangi
Kolbeinstangi
1942. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); one long (2 s) flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The design of the building makes it appear at a distance to have one or more black vertical stripes on each face. Huelse's photo is at right, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse is in the upper right corner of an aerial photo of the town and the sharp peninsula on which it is built. This is the leading light for the village of Vopnafjörður, located about 2 km (1.2 mi) northeast of the town. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed.
571862
Bjarnarey
Bjarnarey (2)
1944 (station estalished 1916). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Ingvar Hreinsson has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Note: there is another, better-known Bjarnarey in the Vestmanneyjar off the south coast. Located on Bjarnarey (Bear Island), a small island just off the cape Kollumúli, marking the south side of the entrance to the bay of Vopnafjörður. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
571863
Kögur
Kögur
1951. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); flash every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Ingvar Hreinsson has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a cape about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Bakkagerði. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
571864
Glettinganes
Glettinganes
1931. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two long (2 s) white flashes every 30 s. 20 m (66 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Ingvar Hreinsson has a 2001 photo, Einar Hansen has a 2008 aerial photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a very prominent cape about 12 km (7.5 mi) east of Bakkagerði. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
571865
Brimnes
Brimnes (3)
1938 (station established 1908). Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a photo, a closeup photo is available, and Bing has a distant satellite view. The original, temporary light was replaced by a lantern house imported from Norway in 1914. From June through October, the Smyril Line cruise ship and ferry Norröna passes this lighthouse as it arrives in Seyðisfjörður on its weekly voyages from Hirtshals, Denmark (this is the only ferry service to Iceland). Located on the north side of the entrance to Seyðisfjörður; accessible by 4WD from the town. Site open, tower closed
571866
Dalatangi dwie latarnie
Dalatangi (1)
1895. Inactive since 1917. Approx. 5 m (17 ft) 1-story stucco-clad stone cottage with a small square lantern at one end. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Málfríður Guðmundsdóttir's photo of both Dalatangi lighthouses is at right, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, and Eygló Haraldsdóttir has a good closeup photo. This is the oldest surviving lighthouse in eastern Iceland. Located about 100 m (110 yd) from the modern lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
571867
Norðfjörður (Norðfjardar)
Norðfjörður (Norðfjardar)
1952. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); two flashes every 7 s, white or red depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The tower was unpainted gray concrete for many years, but Google's August 2013 street view shows the entire lighthouse freshly painted white. Huelse has a photo, Jóhann Þorsteinn Þórðarson has a photo of the rear of the building, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of Neskaupstaður, at the north side of the entrance to the Norðfjörður; the lighthouse is at the extreme end of highway 92. Site status unknown
571951
Seley
Seley
1956. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); three flashes every 25 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A small photo is available, Hlynur Ársælsson has a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is Iceland's easternmost lighthouse. Located atop Seley, an island off the entrance to the Reyðarfjörður. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown
571952
Gríma
Gríma]
1961. Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); white flash every 8 s. 3 m (10 ft) round lantern mounted an a square concrete base. Lantern painted red in Huelse's photo and in a small closeup, but NGA now lists it as yellow. Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a bluff on the south side of the Reyðarfjörður. A paved road passes close to the lighthouse, but the photo indicates it may not be readily accessible. Site status unknown
571953
Vattarnes
Vattarnes (2)
1957 (station established 1912). Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse's photo is at right, Hlynur Ársælsson has a winter 2008 photo, Silvana Zanoni has another 2008 photo, a panoramic view is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a prominent cape on the south side of the entrance to the Reyðarfjörður. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed.
571954
Hafnarnes
Hafnarnes (2)
1937 (station established 1912). Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); one long (1.5 s) flash every 20 s. 6.5 m (21 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Christian Bickel's photo is at right, Huelse has a closeup photo, Julien Carnot has another 2010 photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Stone ruins next to the present lighthouse are the remains of the 1912 lighthouse. Located on a prominent cape on the south side of the entrance to the Fáskrúðsfjörður. Accessible by road (highway 96). Site open, tower closed.
571955
Landahóll
Landahóll
1953. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); flash every 4 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The entire lighthouse is painted white, which is unusual for Iceland. Huelse has a photo, a 2009 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located on a prominent cape on the north side of the entrance to the Stöðvarfjörður, about 3 km (2 mi) east of the town of the same name. Accessible by road; there's also a distant view from the Kambanes lighthouse (next entry) on the other side of the fjord. Site open, tower closed.
571956
Kambanes
Kambanes
1922. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); four flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a closeup photo, a distant view is available, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. Located on a promontory 5 km (3 mi) east of Breiðdalsvik. Accessible by road and a short hike down to the tower. Site open, tower closed.
571957
Selnes (Breiðdalsvik)
Selnes (Breiðdalsvik)
1942. Active; focal plane 12.5 m (41 ft); flash every 8 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) rectangular cylindrical concrete tower with gallery; the light is shown through a window at the top of the tower. The lighthouse is unpainted gray concrete. Huelse has a photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a sharp promontory at the east side of the entrance to the harbor of Breiðdalsvik. Site open, tower closed.
571958
Streiti (Streitishvar)
lost light:
Hlöðu (1958-1984), near Breiðdalsvik in Austerland. This lighthouse replaced the Streiti lighthouse (see above) until it was destroyed by a severe storm in 1984.

1984 (station established 1922). Active; focal plane 22 m (72 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) octagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery. The eight faces of the tower are painted alternately black and white, creating vertical stripes; lantern and gallery painted white. Huelse has a good photo, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, Óskar Ragnarsson has a distant view, Lightphotos.net has a good photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse at this station was demolished in 1958 and replaced by a light on the island of Hlöðu. The present lighthouse was built when the Hlöðu lighthouse was destroyed by a storm in January 1984. Located just off highway 1 on a prominent cape about 8 km (5 mi) south of Breiðdalsvik. Accessible from the coastal highway. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-089; VIT-241; Admiralty L4749.2; NGA 19044.
571964
Karlstaðatangi
Karlstaðatangi
1922. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); two white flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a distant photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the north side of the entrance to the Berufjörður, opposite Djúpivogur. Accessible from the coastal highway. Site open, tower closed.
571965
Æðarsteinn
Æðarsteinn
1922. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Christian Bickel's photo is at right, Huelse has a distant photo, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, and Google has a distant satellite view. Until the 1970s, the lighthouse was painted with red and white horizontal bands. Located on a rocky point on the west side of the harbor of Djúpivogur. Site open, tower closed
571966
Ketilfles (Ketilbodafles)
Ketilfles (Ketilbodafles)
1946. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); three flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Ingvar Hreinsson has a closeup photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on an island about 2 km (1.2 mi) offshore southeast of Djúpivogur and 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west northwest of Papey. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
571967
Papey
Papey
1922. Active; focal plane 57 m (187 ft); flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. A closeup photo and a 2009 photo are available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the highest point of Papey, an island about 4 km (2.5 mi) offshore southeast of Djúpivogur. The island is named for the Irish monks (papar) who were living there when the Norse arrived in the ninth century. There have been no permanent inhabitants since 1966, but there are several summer homes on the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
571968
Hvalnes
Hvalnes
1954. Active; focal plane 29 m (95 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. A photo is at right, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, Huelse has a closeup photo, a 2008 closeup is available, Lightphotos.net has a good photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. A communications tower stands beside the light. This important lighthouse marks a prominent cape, the Austerhorn, one of two capes that mark the southeastern corner of Iceland. Accessible from the coastal highway IS-1. Site open, tower closed.
571969
Stokksnes
Stokksnes (2)
1946 (station established 1922). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); three flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Huelse has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view. A communications tower stands beside the light. This important lighthouse marks a prominent cape, the Vesterhorn, one of two capes that mark the southeastern corner of Iceland. Possibly accessible by 4WD. Site open, tower closed.
571970
Hellir
Hellir
1954. Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); three flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) trapezoidal cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with blue trim. A small photo is available, Jutta Ingala has a view from the sea, and Google has a satellite view. Located on an island in the Hornafjörður, marking a segment of the channel leading to Höfn. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed
571971
Hvanney (Höfn)
Hvanney (Höfn)
1922 (heightened in 1938). Active; focal plane 15 m (49 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a distant photo, Ólafur Ólafsson has another distant view, and Google has a cloudy satellite view. Hvanney is a barrier island off the southeast coast of Iceland; the lagoon behind the barrier is called the Hornafjörður. Located at the east end of the island, marking the south side of the entrance to the lagoon about 1.5 km (1 mi) south of Höfn. Accessible only by boat, although there is a distant view from the town. Site open, tower closed.
571972
Hrollaugseyjar
Hrollaugseyjar
1954. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); one long (1.5 s) white flash every 30 s. 16 m (52 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof red. A small photo is available, and Sigurbjörn Árnason has a very distant view of the island and lighthouse, but clouds block Bing's satellite view. Hrollaugseyjar is one of a group of small, rocky islands about 5 km (3 mi) offshore and 25 km (15 mi) southwest of Höfn. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
572028
Ingólfshöfði
1948 (station established 1916). Active; focal plane 79 m (259 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 12.5 m (41 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern painted red. A fine closeup photo is available, Heriburt Duling also has a closeup, and Google has a distant satellite view. The islet is named for Ingólfur Arnarson, the legendary first Norse settler of Iceland, who landed here in 874. Located on an islet off a prominent cape about 20 km (13 mi) south of Fagurhólsmyri. This is a remote area and there may not be any land access. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-057; VIT-263; Admiralty L4772; NGA 19104.
572029
Skaftárós
1911 (relocated here in 1953). Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); white flash every 3 s. 19.5 m (64 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted red. 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Sigurtor Holm has a 2007 photo, Jón Kornílius Gíslason has a 2008 photo, Pall Asmundsson has a closeup, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Prefabricated in Copenhagen, this is Iceland's oldest skeletal lighthouse. According to the Maritime Museum, it was first installed at Rifstanga á Melrakkasléttu in northeastern Iceland. Located at the eastern entrance to the Skaftárós lagoon, in a remote area of the south coast about 70 km (45 mi) east of Vík. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-081; VIT-264; Admiralty L4774; NGA 19108.
572030
Skarðsfjara
1959. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); four white flashes, in a long-short-long-short pattern, every 30 s. 22 m (72 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted red. 1-story keeper's house. Gunnlauger Hólm Torfason has a 2009 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at a bend in the coastline about 30 km (20 mi) east of Myrar. This is a remote area and there may not be any land access. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-084; VIT-265; Admiralty L4775; NGA 19112.
572031
Alviðruhamrar
1929. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); three white flashes, in a short-long-short pattern, every 20 s. 20.5 m (68 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Ingvar Hreinsson has a photo showing repainting in progress in 2008, Sigmar Þór Sveinbjörnsson has a similar photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Another Hreinsson photo shows the isolation of this lighthouse. Located on the west side of the Küðafljot, a glacial melt river, about 15 km (9 mi) south of Myrar. This is a remote area and there may not be any public land access. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-027; VIT-266; Admiralty L4776; NGA 19116.
572067
Dyrhólaey
1927 (station established 1910). Active; focal plane 118 m (387 ft); white flash every 10 s. 13 m (43 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story keeper's cottage. Lighthouse painted white with red trim, lantern painted red. A photo is at right, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, Matt Riggott has a 2007 closeup, Huelse has a photo, Tryggvi Gunnarsson has a good 2008 photo, Lightphotos.net has a photo, and Google has a satellite view and a street view by David Herskovits. This is probably the best known lighthouse of southern Iceland. In 2016 Icelandair Hotels renovated the building as a luxury accommodation. Dyrhólaey ("door hole") is a steep promontory into which the sea has eroded a large arch. The area is a nature preserve and a very popular tourist destination, but it is closed during the bird nesting season in May and June. The lighthouse is on the mainland a short distance northwest of the arch. The first lighthouse was a skeletal tower prefabricated in Sweden. Accessible by road off the coastal highway about 10 km (6 mi) west of Vík. Site open (except May and June), tower open to hotel guests. Site manager: Icelandair Hotels (Dyrhólaey Lighthouse). ARLHS ICE-034; VIT-267; Admiralty L4780; NGA 18040.
572068
Stórhöfði (Heimaey)
1906. Active; focal plane 125 m (410 ft); three white flashes every 20 s. 7 m (23 ft) lantern and gallery mounted on the seaward end of a 2-story keeper's house. The house is occupied by Iceland's last full-time light keeper, Oskar Jakob Sigurdsson, who inherited the assignment from his father in 1965. Lighthouse painted white with red trim, lantern painted red. Huelse's photo is at right, Ranólfur Hauksson has a 2009 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The 100th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in November 2006. Located on the southern tip of Heimaey. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-086; VIT-268; Admiralty L4784; NGA 18044.
572069
Urðir (Urdir, Vestmannaeyjar)
1986 (station established 1925). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); three flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 7 m (23 ft) lantern and gallery supported by two piles and a concrete stairway. Entire lighthouse painted white. Eydís Eyjólfsdóttir has a closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse was destroyed by the volcanic eruption of 1973. Located on the eastern point of Heimaey. Accessible by hiking down from a nearby road. Site open, and visitors can climb the stairs to the gallery. ARLHS ICE-093; VIT-270; Admiralty L4786; NGA 18048.
572070
Heimaey Höfn
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 10 m (33 ft); red flash every 2 s. 6 m (20 ft) skeletal tower mounted atop a 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted yellow. A 2008 photo and a closeup photo are available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the end of the east mole of Heimaey harbor. Site open, tower closed. VIT-273; Admiralty L4790; NGA 18060.
572071
Faxasker
1950. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); white flash every 7 s. 6 m (20 ft) post mounted atop a 1-story concrete equipment shelter. Lighthouse painted yellow. Sigmar Þór Sveinbjörnsson reports on a visit to the light, Karl Marteinsson has a distant view, but Google has a satellite view. The light is probably a twin of the Heimaey Höfn light. Located on a small island in the Vestmannaeyjar, about 2 km (1.2 mi) north of Heimaey. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-036; VIT-269; Admiralty L4782; NGA 18068.
572072
Þrídrangar (Thridrangur)
Þrídrangar (Thridrangur)
1939. Active; focal plane 34 m (112 ft); long white flash followed by a short white flash every 30 s. 4 m (13 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Ingvar Hreinsson has a closeup photo, Sigmar Þór Sveinbjörnsson has a photo, and Steve Fernie has a distant view from the sea, but the islet is not seen in Google's satellite view. Photos and videos of this isolated and "terrifying" lighthouse suddenly went viral in July 2016. Located on the largest of three isolated rocks about 13 km (8 mi) west northwest of Heimaey. Accessible only by helicopter (with an experienced pilot). VIT-278; Admiralty L4802; NGA 18080.
572073
Knarrarós
1939. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); one very long (3 s) flash every 30 s. 22 m (72 ft) square cylindrical 2-stage concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted concrete, but black panels between windows give the tower the appearance of a black vertical stripe on each face; lantern painted black. Seli Oskarsson's photo is at the top of this page, Huelse has a photo, Thorir Sigurgeirsson has another photo, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located on a point of land about 5 km (3 mi) east of Stokkseyri. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-012; VIT-279; Admiralty L4804; NGA 18116.
572074
Þorlákshöfn (Thorlákshöfn, Hafnarvik)
1951. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) 3-story square concrete tower with a lantern in the seaward side of the top floor. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete. Huelse has a photo, Dominik Kraska has a 2008 photo, Sigurdur Jonsson has a closeup, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This modern tower stands at the tip of the peninsula sheltering the harbor of Þorlákshöfn (Thorlákshöfn). Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-106; VIT-294; Admiralty L4820; NGA 18132.
572075
Selvogur
1931 (station established 1919). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 15 m (49 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Huelse has a photo, Brynja Hrafnkelsdóttir has a 2008 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. The first lighthouse was a skeletal tower. The present lighthouse was renovated and repainted in 2008. Located at Selvogur, a village about 25 km (15 mi) west of Thorlákshöfn. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-079; VIT-297; Admiralty L4824; NGA 18136.
606070
Skor
Skor
1954. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); white flash every 5 s. 5 m (17 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern, painted yellow according to NGA, but Sigrún Davíðsdóttir's 2011 photo shows that it is now painted white. Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a promontory on the south side of the Látrabjarg peninsula. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-107; VIT-086; Admiralty L4558; NGA 18508.
606071
Bjargtangar (Látrabjarg) (2)
Bjargtangar (Látrabjarg) (2)
1948 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 6 m (20 ft) square 2-story concrete building with a lantern on the seaward side of the second floor. The entire building is white. Ingunn Nielsen's photo is at right, Karsten Rätz has a 2009 closeup photo, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, Wikimedia has photos, Jay Colingham has a 2016 street view, and Google has a satellite view and a sunset street view by Frank Sæthre. This lighthouse marks the westernmost point of Iceland, and thereby the westernmost point of Europe, at longitude 24°32'03" W. Located atop a vertical cliff called Látrabjarg. Accessible by road, but it's a long drive; 4WD strongly recommended. Site open, tower closed.
606073
Haanes (Ólafsviti)
Haanes (Ólafsviti)
1947. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); one long (2 s) flash every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Atli Týr Ægisson has a 2008 photo, Gunnar Örn Arnarson has a distant view of this lonely spot, a 2015 photo shows some of the spectacular scenery, a view from the sea is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. This lighthouse guides ships into the Patreksfjörður, the southernmost of a series of fjords cutting into the northwestern peninsula. The lighthouse was built in 1943 with funds provided by Ólaf Jóhannesson, an area merchant, but due to the disruptions of World War II it was not activated until 1947. Located at Hænuvík on the south side of the Patreksfjörður; there is a road about 300 m (1000 ft) above the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
606075
Kópanes
Kópanes
1971. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); two white flashes every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) round lantern mounted at one end of a 1-story concrete fog signal or equipment building. Lantern painted white, building yellow. A small photo is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a remote cape at the southern entrance to the Arnarfjörður. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606076
Langanes (2)
Langanes (2)
1950 (station established 1910). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); flash every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 5 m (17 ft) 2-story concrete building with a lantern and gallery on the seaward side of the second floor. Lighthouse painted orange (formerly yellow). Arnbjörn Jóhannesson has a good photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. Cliffs near this location are famous for birds. Note: this is one of two Langanes (Long Cape) lighthouses in northern Iceland; see near the bottom of this page for the other one. Located on the point of land at the fork of the Arnarfjörður into the branches known as the Suðurfirdir and the Borgarfjörður, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) west of Laugaböl. Site status unknown.
606082
Svalvogar
Svalvogar
1920. Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); two long flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted orange; lantern painted red. Stefan Grossmann has a photo, and the light is visible at the center of a distant Google satellite view. Svalvogar, the mountainous peninsula between the Arnarfjörður and the Drýafjörður, is famous in Icelandic folklore as the setting of the epic Gísla Saga. An unpaved road, popular with adventurous bicyclists, circles the peninsula and passes by the lighthouse. Located at the western tip of the peninsula. Site open, tower closed.
606083
Fjallaskagi
Fjallaskagi
1954. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); white flash every 5 s. 12 m (39 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. A small photo is available, Bergthor Gunnlaugsson has a very distant photo of the cape in which the lighthouse is barely visible, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a cape (kagi) on the north side of the entrance to the Drýafjörður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
606084
Sauðanes Northwest bez zdjecia!
[Sauðanes Northwest]
1964. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 20 s. 3 m (10 ft) round lantern mounted on an octagonal concrete base. Lantern painted white. No photo available; the light is barely visible in the center of a distant Google satellite view. This is one of two Sauðanes lighthouses in northern Iceland; the other one is listed near the bottom of this page. Located at the tip of a peninsula about 5 km (3 mi) west of Suðereyi, marking the entrance to the Súgandafjörður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
606085
Göltur (Galtar)
Göltur (Galtar) (2)
1956 (station established 1920). Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); white flash every 5 s. 14 m (46 ft) square concrete tower, probably with lantern, painted orange. Abandoned 1-1/2 story keeper's house. Ólafur Jonasson has a 2011 photo, Ingvar Hreinsson has a 2002 photo showing the lighthouse painted yellow, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view of the station. This lighthouse stands on a massive cliff, the Stigahlið, on the south side of the entrance to the wide bay of the Ísafjörður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site status unknown
606086
Óshólar
Óshólar
1937. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white or red depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted orange. Christian Bickel's photo at right shows this daymark. In a 2007 photo the lighthouse was painted orange and the lantern yellow; in Huelse's photo the lighthouse color is red-orange. Rognvaldur Olafsson has a 2016 street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the south side of the Ísafjörður about 3 km (2 mi) east of Bolungarvík. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed
606089
Arnarnes
1921 (station established 1902). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); light 2 s on, 8 s off, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) square corrugated iron tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the entrance to the Skutulsfjörður from the Ísafjörður. Located atop a steep promontory about 5 km (3 mi) north of Suðavík. Accessible by road: the lighthouse is on a bluff above highway 61. Site open, tower closed.
606096
Æðey
Æðey
1949. Active; focal plane 26 m (85 ft); two flashes every 22 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Bing has a satellite view. Æðey is an island off the north shore of the Ísafjörður. This lighthouse was completed in 1944, but it could not be lit until 1949 because lighting equipment was not available during World War II. Located on the southern tip of the island. Site status unknown.
606106
Sléttaeyri no photo!
Sléttaeyri (Slettunes)
1949. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) 2-story concrete building with a lantern and gallery on the seaward side of the second floor. Lighthouse painted yellow. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a point of land on the north side of the Ísafjörður near the entrance, about 5 km (3 mi) west of Hesteyri. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
606107
Straumnes Northwest
Straumnes Northwest
1919. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); white flash every 4 s. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal concrete-covered tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, gallery red. The Siglingastofnun's photo is at right, Lightphotos.net has Bryan Richter's photo, a distant view from the sea is available, and Google has a fuzzy satellite view. The lighthouse was covered with concrete in 1930. This unusual lighthouse stands at the tip of a peninsula marking the northwestern corner of Iceland. It is one of two Straumnes Lights in northern Iceland; the other one is listed near the bottom of this page. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606108
Hornbjarg
Hornbjarg
1930. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward end of a 2-story Icelandic Coast Guard station. An excellent photo is available, Jón Smári Einarsson has a nice view of the station, and Google has a distant satellite view. This lighthouse is located a few miles southeast of Horn, the northernmost cape of northwestern Iceland, and only about 17.5 km (11 mi) south of the Arctic Circle. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606109
Selsker
Selsker
1947. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); one long (2.2 s) and one short flash every 30 s. 15 m (49 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a round concrete base. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A Siglingastofnun photo is at right, Ingvar Hreinsson has a 2000 closeup and a view from the sea, there is a small 2005 photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks Munaðarnes, a prominent cape on the north coast at the western entrance to the Húnaflói, a broad bay that separates the northwestern fjord region from the rest of northern Iceland. Located on a rocky reef 5 km (3 mi) north northwest of the cape. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed
606110
Gjögur
Gjögur
1921. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); four flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted red. Júlíus Ó Ásgeirsson has a photo and a distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located at the tip of an east-pointing peninsula about 5 km (3 mi) east of Gjögur. Accessible by 4WD.
606137
Grímsey í Steingrímsfirði
Grímsey í Steingrímsfirði
1949. Active; focal plane 82 m (269 ft); flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Willis Chung has a view from the sea, another view is available, Google has a street view from highway 645 on the mainland, and Bing has a satellite view. Not to be confused with the much better known island of Grímsey in Norðurland Eystra (see below). Grímsey is an island off the north side of the entrance to the Steingrimsfjörður near Drangnes. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606138
Malarhorn
Malarhorn (2)]
1948 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 3 m (10 ft) 1-story concrete building; the light is displayed through windows in the front. Lighthouse painted yellow. A small photo is available, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a promontory on the east side of Drangnes. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed.
606139
Skarð (Vatnsnes)
Skarð (Vatnsnes)
1951. Active; focal plane 52 m (171 ft); three flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A closeup photo and another photo are available, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse has the same design as the 1949 Ædey lighthouse (see above). Located on a bluff marking the east side of the entrance to the Miðfjörður, about 11 km (7 mi) north of Hvammstangi. Site open, tower closed.
606140
Skagaströnd Range Rear
Skagaströnd Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 19 m (52 ft); green light occulting once every 5 s. Light mounted on the center of a strikingly modern concrete church tower. Arnbjörn Jóhannesson has a photo, a 2008 closeup is available, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The front light is on a post. Located in the fishing town of Skagaströnd on the east side of the Húnaflói. Site open, tower closed.
606141
Kálfshamars (Kálfshamarsvík)
Kálfshamars (Kálfshamarsvík) (2)
1942 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); two long flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 16 m (52 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. A 2010 photo is at right, the Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, Wendy Crockett has a 2008 photo, Vilhjálmur Ingi Vilhjálmsson has a photo, J. Noel has a 2009 photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. This lighthouse marks the eastern entrance to the broad bay of the Húnaflói. The original lighthouse was similar to the surviving Straumnes Northwest lighthouse (see above). The present lighthouse was completed in 1940, but World War II delayed its lighting equipment. Located about 25 km (15 mi) north of Skagaströnd. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed.
606142
Skagatá
Skagatá (2)
1935 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 18 m (59 ft); white flash every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a distant photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Skagatá is one of several very prominent capes on the north coast of Iceland. Located on the cape, about 80 km (50 mi) northwest of Sauðárkrókur. May be accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606158
Sauðárkrókur (Saudarkrokur) Range Front
kościół
Sauðárkrókur (Saudarkrokur) Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light shown only when vessels are expected. Light mounted on the roof of a church (not on the steeple). Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The rear light is on a post on a hill behind the town. Sauðárkrókur, at the southwestern end of the Skagafjörður, is one of the largest towns of Iceland's north coast, with a population of about 2700. Located near the center of town. Site open, tower closed.
606159
Hegranes
Hegranes
1937. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); one long (2 s) flash every 13 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. The Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, Oli Arnar Brynjarsson has a very distant view from the sea, and Bing has a satellite view. The lighthouse was originally painted white with a red horizontal band; it was repainted in yellow in 1966. Located on a promontory at the southern end of the Skagafjörður, about 5 km (3 mi) east of Sauðárkrókur. Accessible by a walk of about 2 km (1.2 mi); Anke and Jens comment on the spectacular scenery. Site open, tower closed
606160
Málmey
Málmey
1938. Active; focal plane 66 m (217 ft); two long (1.5 s) flashes every 15 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Google has a satellite view. Málmey is a high island in the eastern entrance to the Skagafjörður; sheer cliffs surround it on all sides. Located on the southeast side of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
606161
Straumnes North
Straumnes North
1942. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); flash every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse colored with gray and white vertical stripes; lantern painted red. Huelse's closeup photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. This is one of two Straumnes lighthouses in northern Iceland; the other one is listed above. Both lighthouses have unusual and striking designs. Located on a promontory facing the Arctic, about 15 km (9 mi) northeast of Hofsós. Site open, tower closed.
606162
Sauðanes North
Sauðanes North
1934. Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white or red depending on direction. 10.5 m (35 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-story concrete keeper's house. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. The Maritime Museum has a page for the lighthouse, T. Blackburn has a photo, Lightphotos.net has a photo by Roy Wraanes, a fine 2008 closeup is available, M.C. McCarron has a distant photo, and Google has a distant satellite view of the station. This is one of two Sauðanes lighthouses in northern Iceland; the other one is listed above. Located on a cape about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Siglufjörður. Site open, tower closed
606163
Selvíkurnef
Selvíkurnef
1930. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) stone tower, painted yellow. The lighthouse needs paint in a 2007 closeup photo, a second photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Located on the east side of the Siglufjörður opposite the fishing village of the same name. Site status unknown.
606164
Siglunes
Siglunes
1908. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 7.5 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story concrete keeper's house. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. The Maritime Museum has a page with a closeup photo, Ingvar Hreinsson has a photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. A history of the station includes a 1912 photo showing the wood keeper's cottage formerly attached to the tower; it also shows the original daymark, white with a red horizontal band. This is the oldest lighthouse on Iceland's north coast, marking one of several very prominent capes on the coast. The lighthouse was originally equipped with a Fresnel lens that had served in the Reykjanes lighthouse (see the Western Iceland page) since 1897. Removed in 1992, the historic lens is now on display at the Herring Era Museum (Síldarminjasafn Íslands) in Siglufjörður. The Maritime Museum also has a page describing the 100th anniversary of the lighthouse, celebrated in 2008. Located on heights above the cape, about 6 km (3.5 mi) northeast of Siglufjörður. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown.
606165
Brík no photo!
Brík
1966. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); three white flashes every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on a concrete base. Lantern painted white. No photo available, but Bing has a distant satellite view. The lantern was prefabricated in Norway, where many similar lights are in use. Located on the west side of the entrance to the Olafsfjorður and Eyjafjorður about 3 km (2 mi) northeast of the fishing village of Olafsfjorður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606167
Hrólfssker
Hrólfssker
1951. Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); white flash every 3 s. 16 m (52 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse is described as gray by NGA, but Thomas O'Neil's excellent photo shows it to be painted yellow with a red lantern. A 2009 view from the sea is also available. Located on a small island ("Rolf's Skerry") in the center of the entrance to the Eyjafjorður (the island does not appear in Google's satellite view of the fjord). Accessible only by boat; there are distant views from the mainland. Site open, tower closed.
606168
Hrísey
1920. Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); flash every 8 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. The Maritime Museum has a page with a photo, a 2008 photo is available, and Andri Vidisson has a closeup, but the light is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. Hrísey is an inhabited island in the Eyjafjorður; 7.5 km (4.7 mi) long, it is the second largest island of Iceland. The population is about 175. Located on a bluff on the northwestern side of the island. Anke and Jens found the area to be closed (private property).
606169
Hjalteyri
Hjalteyri
1920. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); two flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) square pyramidal skeletal tower with lantern and gallery, painted red. Huelse has a closeup, Daníel Starrason has another good photo, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a distant satellite view. Hjalteyri is a small village (population about 40) on the west side of the Eyjafjorður, about 20 km (13 mi) north of Akureyri. Located on the point of a spit that protects the village harbor. Site open; Anke and Jens visited in June 2008 and report that the tower can be climbed, but the gallery seemed unsafe. ARLHS ICE-026; VIT-169; Admiralty L4666; NGA 18780.
606170
Svalbarðseyri
Svalbarðseyri
1920. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); one long flash every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical stone tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse's photo is at right, Julien Didierjean has another good photo, Helga Kvam has a fine winter photo, Raoul Brosch has a panoramic view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Svalbarðseyri is a small village on the east side of the Eyjafjorður, about 6 km (4 mi) north of Akureyri. Located on the shore on a promontory just north of the village. Accessible by road. Site open, and visitors can climb an external ladder to the gallery.
606181
Gjögurtá no photo
Gjögurtá
1970. Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on a concrete base. Lantern painted white. No photo available, and the light is not seen in Google's distant satellite view. Located on the east side of the entrance to the Eyjafjorður. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606223
Flatey
Flatey (2)
1963 (station established 1913). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); three white flashes every 15 s. 9.5 m (31 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. A photo is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Although it was built 26 years later, this lighthouse appears identical in design to the Grímsey lighthouse (previous entry). Flatey ("Flat Island") is an island in Skjálfandi Bay. There was formerly a settlement on the island, but the last inhabitants departed in 1967. Ecotours visit the island today. Located on the east side of the island, north of the former settlement. Site open, tower closed.
606224
Húsavík
Húsavík
1956. Active; focal plane 50 m (164 ft); flash every 2.5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) semicircular cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery inset in the top. Lighthouse originally painted yellow, but it has weathered to brown in the most of the available photos. A photo is at right, Huelse has a photo, Kjarten Palsson has another photo, Agnes Heiða Skúladóttir has a 2009 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Húsavík is a fishing port on the east side of Skjálfandi Bay. With a population of about 2400, it is one of the largest and most accessible locations in northeastern Iceland. Located on a promontory on the north side of the entrance to Húsavík harbor, about 2 km (1.2 mi) west of town. Site open, tower closed.
606225
Lundey
Lundey
1977. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); white flash every 5 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on a concrete pad. Lantern painted white. Lundey (one of several Icelandic islands of that name) is a flat-topped island about 5 km (3 mi) north of Húsavík. A small photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed.
606226
Tjörnes
Tjörnes
1929. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. A very tall communications tower looms over the lighthouse, as seen in Huelse's photo. Honza and Ivana Ebr also have a closeup, a 2013 photo is available, Google has a very distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse marks a prominent cape on the north coast, about 1 km (0.6 mi) northwest of Máná. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed
606227
Mánáreyjar
Mánáreyjar
1982. Active; focal plane 43 m (41 ft); white flash every 10 s. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern mounted on a concrete pad. Lantern painted white with a red roof. The lantern is just visible in Eirik Einarsson's distant view, and Bing has a satellite view. Mánáreyjar is a rocky island about 5 km (3 mi) northeast of Tjörnes. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed
606228
Kópasker (Grimshafnartangi)
Kópasker (Grimshafnartangi)
1951. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); one long (1.5 s) flash every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 14 m (46 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with narrow black vertical stripes, lantern red. A photo by Petr Brož is at right, Lydur Gudmundsson has a photo, Huelse also has a photo, and Google has a very distant street view and a distant satellite view. Kópasker is a small fishing port on the east side of the Öxarfjörður and the west side of the Melrakkaslétta, Iceland's northeastern peninsula. Located on a promontory on the north side of the entrance to the harbor of Kópasker. Site open, tower closed
606229
Rauðinúpur
Rauðinúpur (2)
1958 (station established 1929). Active; focal plane 63 m (207 ft); three white flashes, short-long-short (Morse code "R"), every 20 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. A closeup photo is available, Haraldur Levi Jonsson has a 2016 photo, Hilma Steinarsdóttir has a distant view, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on a promontory at the northwestern corner of the Melrakkaslétta, Iceland's northeastern peninsula, marking the entrance to the Öxarfjörður. Accessible by road about 15 km (9 mi) north northwest of Kópasker. Site open, tower closed.
606232
Hraunhafnartangi
Hraunhafnartangi
1951. Active; focal plane 21 m (69 ft); one long and one short flash every 30 s, white or red depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. The design of the building makes it appear at a distance to have one or more black vertical stripes on each face. Huelse has a good photo, Alex Tulosabes has a closeup, Marcel Clarijs also has a good photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is Iceland's northernmost lighthouse, standing about 800 m (1/2 mi) south of the Arctic Circle at the northeastern tip of the island. Accessible by road about 10 km (6 mi) northwest of Raufarhöfn. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS ICE-050; VIT-192; Admiralty L4699; NGA 18844.
606233
Raufarhöfn
Raufarhöfn
1931. Active; focal plane 33 m (108 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse has a good photo, Stefan M. Seydel has an excellent closeup, another photo is available, Elva Bra has a fine closeup, and Bing has a satellite view. Raufarhöfn is a fishing town near the northeastern corner of Iceland. Located on the east side of the entrance to Raufarhöfn harbor. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed.
606234
Raufarhöfn Range Front
Raufarhöfn Range Front
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 9 m (30 ft); green light occulting once every 5 s. 3.5 m (12 ft) 1-story equipment shelter. The light was formerly displayed through a window, but it has now been centered on a red triangular daymark on a pole mounted on the roof. The rear light is on a short skeletal tower. Huelse has a photo, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on the south side of the harbor at Raufarhöfn. Site open, tower closed.
606235
Melrakkanes no photo
Melrakkanes
1956. Active; focal plane 23 m (75 ft); flash every 12 s, white or red depending on direction. 12 m (39 ft) semicircular cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted yellow. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. Located on a cape about 15 km (9 mi) southeast of Raufarhöfn, marking the northern entrance to the bay called the Thistilfjörður. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed
606236
Grenjanes
Grenjanes
1945. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); one long (2 s) white flash every 20 s. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. The design of the building makes it appear at a distance to have one or more black vertical stripes on each face. Ingvar Hreinsson has a 2001 closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. This is one of several lighthouses in Iceland that were built during World War II but not activated until the end of the war. Located on a cape at the east entrance to the Lónafjörður, about 5 km (3 mi) north of the fishing town of Þórshöfn. May be accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606237
Langanes (Long Cape)
Langanes (Long Cape) (2)
1950 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 53 m (174 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 9 m (30 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Katy Nicolson's photo is at right, Kristinn Vilhjálmsson has a closeup photo, Nunni Konn has a photo, Jirka Krcmar has a 2016 photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. This lighthouse marks the end of Langanes, a long, narrow peninsula that projects from the northeastern corner of Iceland, posing a great hazard to navigation. Ragnarsson's grandfather Þorvaldur Jónsson built this and several other lighthouses in Iceland. Note: this is one of two Langanes lighthouses in northern Iceland; see near the top of this page for the other one. Site open, tower closed.
606238
Digranes
Digranes
1947. Active; focal plane 28 m (92 ft); one long (1.5 s) flash every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with one black vertical stripe on each face, lantern painted red. A good 2009 photo is available, Sigurdur Jonsson has 2007 photo, Huelse has a photo, and Google has a distant satellite view. This is another lighthouse completed during World War II and activated after the war. Located on an islet just off a cape 3 km (2 mi) east of the fishing town of Bakkafjörður. A footbridge connects the islet to the mainland. Accessible from town by 4WD. Site open, tower closed
606364
Krísuvíkurberg
South Coast Lighthouses
* Krísuvíkurberg
1965. Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 10 s. 5 m (16 ft) round lantern on a round cylindrical metal tower. Lantern painted red and the lower part of the tower painted yellow. Stefán Þorvaldsson has a 2008 closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a bluff at Krísuvíkurberg, about 25 km (15 mi) east of Grindavík. Accessible by 4WD. Site open, tower closed
606365
Hópsnes
Hópsnes
1928. Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); three long (2 s) white flashes every 20 s. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Myhre's photo is at right, Huelse has a photo, Ásmundur Þorkelsson has a good closeup, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southeast of Grindavík. Site open, tower closed.
606366
Reykjanes
Reykjanes (3)
1929 (station established 1879). Active; focal plane 73 m (240 ft); two white flashes every 30s. 31 m (102 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. The modern 2-story keeper's house is occupied by a resident attendant. Christian Bickel's photo is at the top of this page, Huelse has a good photo, Anke and Jens have a page for the lighthouse, a 2014 photo is available, Wikimedia has photos, and Google has a satellite view and a wintry street view. This light station, Iceland's oldest, is the landfall light for Keflavík and Reykjavík. The original lighthouse stood only eight years before being destroyed by an earthquake in 1887. Traditional in appearance, the current tower is probably Iceland's best known and most visited lighthouse. The area around the lighthouse is thermally active, and plumes of steam can often be seen in photos of the lighthouse. Located atop a hill (an inactive volcanic cone) near the southwestern point of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 16 km (10 mi) west of Grindavík and 20 km (13 mi) southwest of Keflavík. Site open, tower closed
606367
Reykjanestá
Reykjanestá (Reykjanes aukaviti)
1909. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white flash every 3 s. 5 m (16 ft) square concrete tower; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted orange. Huelse has a photo, Ingvar Hreinsson has a closeup, Myhre has a distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Anke and Jens report that the walk to this light over rough lava from the Reykjanes lighthouse is not easy. Located on the extreme tip of the Reykjanes peninsula, 1.7 km (1 mi) southwest of the Reykjanes lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
606368
Stafnes
Stafnes
1925. Active; focal plane 14 m (46 ft); three flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 11 m (36 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Huelse has a photo, Myhre has a 2011 photo, Aðalsteinn Guðmundsson has a 2008 photo, Wikimedia has photos, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located at the west point of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 5 km (3 mi) south of Sandgerði. Parking available; there's an easy walk of about 300 m (0.2 mi) to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
606369
Sandgerði
Sandgerði
1916. Active; focal plane 25 m (82 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, occulting once every 6 s. 19 m (62 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, arising at the seaward end of a large warehouse-type building. Tower painted yellow-brown. The tower also carries a red, inverted-triangular daymark. Huelse has a photo, Myhre has a 2011 photo, Ólafur Ólafsson has a 2008 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The tower was raised in height in 1945. Located on the waterfront of Sandgerði, a town near the northwest corner of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 6 km (4.5 mi) west of Keflavík. Site open, tower closed
606370
Garðskagi (1)
Garðskagi (1)
1897. Inactive since 1944. 11 m (36 ft) square concrete tower with gallery, attached to a small 1-story concrete equipment room. Lantern removed. Lighthouse painted white with two narrow red horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Anke and Jens have a page for the lighthouse, Myhre has a 2011 photo, Wikimedia has photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse was replaced by a taller tower (next entry). In recent years the old tower has been refurbished and put to use as a bird observation tower. Located on Garðskagi (Cape Garð), the northwestern tip of the Reykjanes peninsula, about 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Keflavík. Parking provided. Site open, tower open but we have no information on the schedule.
606371
Garðskagi (2)
Garðskagi (2)
1944 (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); white flash every 5 s; also a continuous passing light, white, red or green depending on direction, displayed at 10 m (33 ft). 27 m (89 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Anke and Jens have a page with good photos, Huelse has a photo, Myhre has a 2011 closeup, Ólafur Ólafsson has a 2008 photo, Wikimedia has photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located about 200 m (220 yd) southeast of the original lighthouse on Garðskagi (Cape Garð). Site open, tower closed.
606372
Hólmsberg
Hólmsberg
1956. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); two flashes every 20 s, white, red or green, depending on direction. 13 m (43 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Anke and Jens have a page with a great photo, Myhre has a 2011 photo, Huelse has a photo, Johan Lindqvist has a great 2007 photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located on a promontory about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) northwest of Keflavík. Site open, tower closed.
606373
Vatnsnes (Keflavík)
Vatnsnes (Keflavík)
1922. Active; focal plane 12 m (39 ft); three flashes every 10 s, white or red depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The lighthouse was previously painted yellow, but Huelse's photo shows the tower painted white and the lantern and gallery blue. Myhre has a 2011 photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located in a warehouse area at the tip of the Vatnsnes peninsula, on the northwest side of Keflavík harbor. Site open, tower closed.
606374
Gerðistangi
Gerðistangi
1918. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); two flashes every 10 s, white, red or green, depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted orange, lantern and gallery red. Anke and Jens have a page with a good photo, Myhre has a 2011 photo, Huelse has a closeup photo, and Google has a satellite view and a very distant street view. Located on a point of land near Vogar, about 12 km (7.5 mi) east of Keflavík. The lighthouse is about 600 m (0.4 mi) from the nearest road and the surrounding land is probably private. Site and tower closed.
606418
Hafnarfjörður (Straumesvík Directional Light)
Hafnarfjörður (Straumesvík Directional Light)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); flashing directional light, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft round concrete tower rising at the seaward end of a 1-story concrete building. Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. This light replaced the former Hafnarfjörður range lights (see next entry). Located on the waterfront on the north side of Hafnarfjörður harbor, a fishing port on the southwest side of Reykjavík. Site open, tower closed.
606419
Hafnarfjörður Range Rear
Hafnarfjörður Range Rear (1)
1901. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical tower; the light was shown through a square window at the top of the tower. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands. Huelse has a photo, Clavius Rork has a 2011 closeup, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. All the photos show that the lighthouse is being maintained in good condition. The front light of the former range may have been on the same location as the present directional light (previous entry). Located on a hill off Vitastígur street in Hafnarfjörður. Site open, tower closed.
606420
Grótta
Grótta
1897. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); three flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted white, lantern red. Capt. Theo Hinrichs's photo at right shows the two relatively modern keeper's houses, Anke and Jens have a page with good photos, Myhre has a 2011 photo, Kjartan and Inga Dögg have a nice 2009 photo, a distant view is available, Wikimedia has photos, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Grótta is an island off the end of the Seltjarnarnes peninsula about 15 km (9 mi) west of downtown Reykjavík. The lighthouse marks the entrance to the city's harbor. Parking is provided on the cape, and with some care it is possible to walk to the island at low tide. Site open, tower closed.
606421
?
606422
Engey
Engey
1937. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 8 m (26 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted yellow. A 2009 photo is available, René Mühlheim has a 2016 view, Myhre has a very distant view, and Google has a satellite view. Engey is an island on the east side of Reykjavík's commercial harbor. Located on the northwestern tip of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown; there is a view from ships entering the harbor.
606423
Reykjavík Norðurgarði (North Mole Head)
Reykjavík Norðurgarði (North Mole Head)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 7 m (23 ft); green flash every 2 s. 4 m (13 ft) square corrugated iron tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. A photo is at right, Myhre has a 2011 photo, Heinz Brethauer has a 2008 closeup photo, this is the more distant light in Huelse's photo, and Google has a satellite view and Luke Godward's street view. Located at the end of the north breakwater of the main harbor of Reykjavík, on the west side of the city. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606424
Reykjavík Ingólfsgarði (South Mole Elbow)
606425
Reykjavík (Sjomannaskolinn, Seaman's School)
Reykjavík (Sjomannaskolinn, Seaman's School) (2)
1945 (station established 1897). Active; focal plane 71 m (233 ft); white, red or green light, depending on direction, 2 s on, 2 s off. 32 m (105 ft) square cylindrical masonry tower, topped by an octagonal tower with a gallery and a tall steeple, and attached to the front of a large 4-story academic building. Building painted gray. Huelse has a photo, a 2013 photo is available, Google has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. The Seaman's School was established in 1891, but the present building was built in 1944-45. It is now known as the Tækniskólinn (Technical School); it offers a dozen technical curricula including Navigation and Marine Engineering. Located on a hill overlooking Reykjavík harbor. Site open, tower status unknown.
606426
Skarfagarðs (Skarfagarth)
Skarfagarðs (Skarfagarth)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); green flash every 2 s. 4 m (13 ft) square tower with lantern and gallery. Entire lighthouse painted yellow. Ron Zoeteweij has a closeup photo, Jacek Bogdan also has a closeup, and Google has a satellite view and a distant street view. Located at the end of the Skarfagarðs jetty, which shelters the Viðey ferry terminal in downtown Reykjavik. Accessible by walking the mole. Site open, tower closed.
606447
Krossvík (Akranes) Fremra (Range Front)
Krossvík (Akranes) Fremra (Range Front)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane unknown; green light occulting once every 5 s. 6 m (20 ft) lantern and gallery mounted atop a square concrete equipment shelter. A red triangular daymark is displayed on a post mounted on the gallery. Entire lighthouse painted yellow. Jón Sævar Hallvarðsson has a 2016 closeup photo, Huelse has a good photo, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The rear light is on a radio transmission tower. Located on the waterfront on the east side of Akranes, adjacent to an athletic field. Site open, tower closed.
606448
Akranes
Akranes (1)
1918. Inactive since 1947. Approx. 13 m (43 ft) square dumbbell-shaped concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern gray. Anke and Jens have a page with good photos, Piotr Somerfeld has a great photo, Huelse also has a good photo, a 2012 closeup is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Google's street view shows the lighthouse being repainted in August 2013. Located at the extreme tip of the Skipaskagi (Ships' Cape) peninsula, the lighthouse appears to be endangered by erosion. Parking provided. Site open, tower open but we have no information on the schedule.
606449
Akranes -
Akranes (2)
1947 (station established 1918). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); two flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 21 m (69 ft) concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and eight buttresses at the base. Tower painted white, lantern red. Pietro Izzo's photo is at right, Anke and Jens have a good page for the station, Huelse also has a good photo, a 2007 photo is available, Ron Zoeteweij has a photo of both lighthouses, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. Located a short distance north of the original lighthouse. Parking provided. Site open, tower closed.
606450
Rauðanes
Rauðanes
1940. Active; focal plane 8 m (26 ft); flash every 5 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 4 m (13 ft) hexagonal concrete equipment room; the light is shown through a window. Lighthouse painted yellow. A distant view is available, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on a sharp promontory on the north side of the Faxaflói about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) southwest of Bogarnes. Probably accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606451
Þormóðssker (Thormodhssker)
Þormóðssker (Thormodhssker)
1947. Active; focal plane 35 m (115 ft); one long flash every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 23 m (75 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted concrete with black panels giving the appearance of a black vertical stripe on each face; lantern painted black. Þórdís Björnsdóttir has a 2010 closeup photo, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on Thormodh's Skerry, a small rocky island in the Faxaflói about 13 km (8 mi) northwest of Akranes. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed.
606579
Kirkjuhóll
Kirkjuhóll
1953. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); one long (2 s) flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 6 m (20 ft) semi-elliptical concrete tower with lantern. The lighthouse is unpainted white concrete. Huelse has a photo, Ólafur Ólafsson has a distant view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located off highway 54 midway on the south shore of the Snæfells peninsula. It's a walk of about 400 m (1/4 mi) to the lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
606581
Malarrif
Malarrif (2)
1946 (station established 1917). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); four flashes every 30 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) round cylindrical concrete tower with four buttresses, lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Huelse has a photo, Vlad Bogdan has a 2017 photo, a 2012 photo is available, and Google has a satellite view and very distant street view. Located on the south coast of the Snæfells peninsula about 15 km (9 mi) southwest of Gröf. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed.
606592
Svörtuloft
Svörtuloft (2)
1931 (station established 1914). Active; focal plane 30 m (98 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery. Tower painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse's photo is at right, a 2008 closeup (misidentified as Öndverðarnes) is available, and Bing has a satellite view. This lighthouse and the next one mark the blunt western end of the Snæfells Peninsula. Located about 8 km (5 mi) southwest of Hellissandur. Site open, tower closed
606593
Öndverðarnes
Öndverðarnes
1973. Active; focal plane 11 m (36 ft); white flash every 3 s. 4 m (13 ft) octagonal cast iron lantern centered on a small 1-story square concrete equipment room. Equipment room painted yellow, lantern red. Huelse's photo is at right, and Bing has a satellite view. Located on the extreme northwestern tip of the Snæfells Peninsula, about 2.5 km (1.5 mi) north of the Svörtuloft lighthouse. Site open, tower closed.
606596
Taska (Rif)
Taska (Rif)
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 13 m (43 ft); green flash every 3 s. 13 m (43 ft) round lantern and gallery perched on a slender iron pole. Lantern painted green. Huelse has a photo, Google has a distant street view, and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located in the Breidafjörður off the village of Rif, about 6 km (3.5 mi) east of Hellissandur. Accessible only by boat, although there may be a good view from shore. Site open, tower closed.
606597
Krossnes
Krossnes
1926. Active; focal plane 19 m (62 ft); four flashes every 20 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. Huelse has a photo, Martin Nouza also has a photo, a distant view is available, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located at the end of a promontory 8 km (5 mi) northwest of Grundarfjörður. It appears from Huelse's photo that the lighthouse is on a farm. Site and tower closed.
606604
Höskuldsey
Höskuldsey (2)
1948 (station established 1926). Active; focal plane 16 m (52 ft); flash every 6 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 10 m (33 ft) square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted yellow. Ingvar Hreinsson has a closeup photo, and Google has a good satellite view. Höskuldsey is a small island in the Breidafjörður about 15 km (9 mi) west of Stykkishölmur. Located on the highest point of the island. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed.
606605
Súgandisey
Súgandisey
1948. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous red light. 4 m (13 ft) round lantern, painted red. Peter Neumüller has a good street view, and Google has a satellite view. The front light is on a post 33 m (108 ft) northeast. Located on a hilltop on the north side of the harbor of Stykkisholmúr. Site open, tower closed.
606606
Elliðaey
Elliðaey
1951. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); flash every 10 s, white, red or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) triangular cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; lantern painted red. Ingvar Hreinsson has a closeup photo and a second photo, Sergeev Kirill has a 2014 photo, Huelse has a distant photo, and Google has a satellite view. Elliðaey is a small island in the Breidafjörður about 5 km (3 mi) northwest of Stykkishölmur. Located on the highest point of the island, which is at the east end. Accessible only by boat; there are views from the ferry crossing the Breidafjörður from Stykkishölmur to Flatey and Brjánslaekur. Site status unknown.
brak wystarczającej ilości ocen

Skomentuj

Zaloguj się, aby komentować i oceniać trasy
Rowerem po Roztoczu
Moja mapa 0