“Ukiel” Recreation and Sports Center (0.0 km) • “Słoneczna Polana” Water and Ice Sailing Center (3.4 km) • Łupstych (7.6 km) • Gutkowo (10.5 km) • Likusy (13.3 km) • Olsztyn Canoeing Center (15.5 km) • “Ukiel” Recreation and Sports Center (17.0 km)
This short but very charming and varied route runs along the shoreline of Olsztyn’s largest lake. Along the way, there are many places to rest by the water, including the attractively landscaped waterfront of the city beach near the “Ukiel” Recreation and Sports Center.
The route begins at the “Ukiel” Recreation and Sports Center’s city beach and heads toward the swimming area. Following the bike path along Miła Street, we circle the peninsula and then turn onto a bike path that runs along the lake’s shore to the “Słoneczna Polana” Water and Ice Sailing Center. We continue through the forest, on a gravel-paved and dirt road, along the lake’s shore to the village of Łupstych. Along the way, we pass, among other things, a historic wooden cottage and a former school. On the right is an unguarded beach. Then, following the bike path along Żurawia Street, we reach Gutkowo, a neighborhood of Olsztyn. It’s worth stopping for a moment to visit the local Church of St. Lawrence. Nearby are Lake Tyrsko and the Redykajny Nature Reserve. We then ride to Lake Ukiel, near another unguarded beach. Following the bike path along Bałtycka Street, we head south to Grabowa Street, and then along Limbowa Street to the Olsztyn Canoeing Center. From there, first across a footbridge and then along the lakeside promenade running parallel to Żeglarska Street, we return to the city beach, where we complete the loop.
The route, which has a very good surface, partially overlaps with the marked “Ukiel” running trail, signposted with a blue runner symbol. It runs through both hilly forest terrain and flat asphalt roads. There are a few steep climbs along the southern section of the lake. Most of the route consists of safe, dedicated bike paths.
There are two train stations in Olsztyn (the Olsztyn Zachodni station is closer to the route) and six train stops (the ones closest to the route are: Jezioro Ukiel, Likusy, Redykajny, Gutkowo, and Dajtki). You can also easily reach the CRS “Ukiel” city beach by taking city bus line 307 (which runs during summer vacation), as well as lines 107 and 113 (from Sielska Street) and lines 101, 106, 111, and 127 (from Bałtycka Street).
Lake Ukiel
Lake Ukiel, also commonly known as “Crooked Lake” due to its numerous bays and “crooked” shape, is the largest lake in Olsztyn. It covers an area of 412 hectares. It consists of four basins: the northern basin, known as Gutkowski (colloquially, Copernicus Bay); the central basin, known as Przejma (colloquially, the Pacific); the western basin, known as Łupstych (colloquially, Swan’s Neck); and the southern basin, known as Olsztyński (colloquially, Grunwald Bay). The lake’s shoreline is very varied. It has high, mostly steep, and in places forested shores, as well as areas with good access to the water and wild beaches. The lake serves as Olsztyn’s summer recreation center. Few cities in Poland have such a large body of water with such well-developed shores. The facilities of the modern “Ukiel” Recreation and Sports Center complex are located at three sites along the lake: 23 Kapitańska St., 10-558 Olsztyn, tel. 89 527 12 03, crs@ukiel.olsztyn.eu, www.ukiel.olsztyn.eu. Its main section is located on Kapitańska Street. There you’ll find, among other things, the harbor master’s office, a water sports equipment rental shop, and three swimming areas. Beachgoers have access to changing rooms and showers, as well as many attractions, including relaxation platforms, playgrounds, walking piers, and viewing platforms. It also serves as the main hub of the sports complex. Fans of active recreation will find here: 11 beach volleyball courts, a basketball court, a complex of multipurpose sports fields, and a skatepark (which becomes a snowpark in winter). There are also several dining establishments on the premises. The second part of the complex—the Olsztyn Canoeing Center—is located on Olimpijska Street. Here, you’ll also find a sports equipment rental shop, as well as a gym with wellness facilities; there are also two sports fields and a year-round beach volleyball hall. The third facility belonging to CRS “Ukiel” is the “Słoneczna Polana” Water and Ice Sailing Center on Sielska Street. The individual facilities are connected by an extensive network of walking and biking paths.
Gutkowo
From the road running through this Olsztyn neighborhood—until recently a suburban village—you can clearly see the tree-surrounded Gothic Church of St. Lawrence at 135 Bałtycka Street, 11-041 Olsztyn. It is the second-oldest church in Olsztyn (after the Co-Cathedral of St. James). It was built around 1400. The lower, Gothic part of the tower was constructed from fieldstones, while the upper part was made of wood. It was this tower that Napoleon climbed to observe the Russian troops. Inside the church, visitors can view restored medieval murals. Next to the church stands a monument dedicated to those who fell in World War I, surrounded by 12 cast-iron crosses. The stone obelisk is topped with a cross and adorned with four spheres arranged on its base. A plaque lists the names of the fallen residents of the surrounding villages.
Redykajny Nature Reserve
This peatland reserve, located in the Municipal Forest, covers an area of approximately 10 hectares. The area has been protected since 1907. The protected area consists of a transitional peatland with fragments of raised and fens. Relict plants dating back to the postglacial period grow here, including sphagnum mosses, sundews, cottongrass, northern larch, common bog rush, bog blueberry, and string sedge. Among the interesting animals found here is Poland’s only tree-dwelling tailless amphibian: the tree frog.
Napoleon in Gutkowo
In 1807, Napoleon spent about a month in Warmia. He arrived in Gutkowo on February 3. At that time, the Russians were in nearby Jonkowo. The next morning, the French commander climbed the tower of the Gothic church in Gutkowo to observe the enemy’s troops. The French attacked. Unfortunately, the enemy had retreated under cover of night, and it was only after the assault began that Napoleon realized his troops were fighting the rearguard of the retreating army.
Nicolaus Copernicus in Olsztyn
Olsztyn formerly belonged to the Warmian Chapter. From 1516 to 1521 (with a break at the turn of 1519 and 1520), Nicolaus Copernicus served as administrator of its estates and lived in the city for nearly five years. During his stay at the Olsztyn castle, Copernicus also devoted himself to astronomy. A remnant of his work is a unique astronomical chart, painted by the most eminent Polish astronomer himself on the wall of the cloister. Using this chart, Copernicus analyzed the apparent motion of the Sun based on observations of the sun’s rays in the days preceding the spring and fall equinoxes, as well as in the days following them. There are more sites in Olsztyn associated with the city’s most famous resident. Near the castle, in the Old Town, stands the Copernicus Bench. You can sit on it next to the bronze statue of the astronomer and take a souvenir photo. In the park across from the castle stands a monument to Nicolaus Copernicus, unveiled in 1916. In 1973, to mark the 500th anniversary of Copernicus’s birth, a planetarium was opened in Olsztyn, which remains in operation today. The facility is equipped with a modern, digital projection system. Nearby, in a former water tower, there is an astronomical observatory.